Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Where Have All The Deals Gone?

It wasn't that long ago that there were plenty of deals to be had in the wine world. With a fair amount of frequency, one could find awesome wines on sale from many retailers. When I say awesome wines, I am talking about the kinds of wines I like to drink and collect myself...CdP like Pegau, Brunellos like La Gerla, Italians like Guidalberto and Terra di Lavoro. Occasional Bordeaux gems like Latour a Pomerol.

I am not sure what's going on, but since right about Christmas, I have not received ONE email that has been tempting to purchase from. Not a single one. Hence, no wine hunter posts from me in months.

Does that mean that there are no values in the market right now? Or does it mean that the retailers are hoping not to have to discount any of their inventory? Is the economy really so strong that it can absorb oceans of pretty expensive wine (personally, I don't think so)?

I'm not sure what the situation is, but I am following this trend with great interest. Are you seeing the same trend as I, or am I an outlier?

No comments: